Monday, May 27, 2013

Occupy Standardized Testing: The SAT Essay



We already told you about some advice the College Board book gave about the SAT essay, which to sum up was: thinking is dangerous on the SAT and will get you in trouble.

Here's some more advice, this time from online SAT test prep resources:

You may have qualms or otherwise “sophisticated” thoughts at this point. You may be thinking, “I could argue the ‘agree’ side pretty well, but I’m not sure that I 100 percent believe in the agree side because. . . .” Drop those thoughts. 

The examples you choose to support your argument and your development of those examples is a big part of how well you write. But there’s no SAT rule or law that says that the examples you use to support your arguments have to be true. If you’re in a bind, however, remember that you can bend the truth a bit and use your personal knowledge and experience to generate examples that prove your argument.

Forget about trying to write an essay that changes the world. When the SAT says to you, “Here’s 25 minutes, write an essay,” what they’re saying between the lines is: “Write a standard essay that does exactly what we want.”

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting SAT article!!
    I would like to comment that SAT test-takers maybe find helpful the new SAT math forum at SAT math 4u.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is real great and much inspiring post in regards to SAT prep resources, its a real helpful source. SAT tutor Long island

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been a bad standardized test taker. I think I tend to over analyze the questions or I'm just anxious about failing the test. After pleading my parents about getting an SAT tutor in the Bay Area, I felt more relieved. So far I have learned some valuable strategies to help me do well on the exam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SAT is an exam that every students dread and feel nervous about. Having SAT prep long island would help a lot so that you could get good grades and also, possibly top the exam. How does that sound? Amazing isn't it? And possible.

    ReplyDelete